(Work place: Montréal)
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
NV-11As a senior legal affairs advisor, you help protect the organization’s legal interests by ensuring it complies with all laws. You also play a key role in making sure that its rights are protected and obligations are met. You represent the organization in situations involving its legal interests.You lead and influence development projects and complex, highly innovative strategic initiatives involving multiple sectors. You help develop and recommend strategic directions and business positions. Your initiatives require extensive knowledge of your field.You make recommendations on the planning and execution of operationally and conceptually complex projects and initiatives that require comprehensive analysis and understanding of the organization and line of business. Coordination is critical, so you frequently interact with stakeholders working in a wide range of other fields. Interpersonal savvy is therefore essential.
General Information on the Position
- Lead specialized development projects, initiatives and activities that significantly impact the entire organization
- Advise your clients and partners to help them position, plan, develop, execute and monitor strategic projects and initiatives
- Interpret laws and regulations and issue legal opinions based on the facts, the law and the course of action
- Monitor the industry to understand and anticipate trends in your field of expertise and make appropriate recommendations to develop best practices for the organization.
- Develop and update policies, standards, models and programs to support the unit's projects and initiatives.
- Identify and analyze problems. Raise any major issues. Establish diagnoses and make recommendations to those involved.
- Negotiate agreements with partners, corporate decision-making bodies or external organizations.
- Frequently represent the unit in dealings with various senior management committees and decision-making bodies.
- Ensure that practices, procedures, methodologies and tools are used efficiently and that business plan objectives are met.
Other working conditions
- Number of jobs available : 2
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or in a related field
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in a large company or a top law firm
- Experience in business law, corporate law and corporate governance
- Experience in transactional law: mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, private equity, reorganizations and business financing
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Be a member of the Barreau du Québec
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
- Proficient speaker, complete proficiency in English
- Knowledge of securities law (an asset)
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Action oriented, Customer Focus, Differences, Nimble learning
Key competencies for the job
Innovation, Interpersonal Savvy, Strategic mindset
Complexe Desjardins Montréal
Legal Affairs (FG)