(Work place: Montréal)
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
NV-09Desjardins General Insurance Group offers you a stimulating work environment that encourages commitment and skills development as well as the development of its employees. This flourishing company provides generous benefits and promotes work/life balance.Reporting to the Manager, Claims Legal Counsel, you are responsible for legal cases and represent Desjardins General Insurance Inc., its affiliates and its insureds before courts of first instance and courts of appeal.In addition, you advise the Claims Division and other organization sectors regarding legal orientations pertaining to claims files. You participate in various committees and explain the legal impacts resulting from the decisions under consideration.
General Information on the Position
- Assume responsibility for complete management of litigation files, as either plaintiff or defendant, regarding insurance law and third-party liability for both individuals and companies.
- To this end, issue opinions, develop strategies, draft procedures, conduct interviews, negotiate and represent the company and its insureds before courts of first instance and courts of appeal.
- Advise the organization's units and decision-making bodies with respect to the handling of claims files.
- Interpret laws and regulations and issue legal opinions.
- Lead or contribute to various claims mandates and special projects.
Other working conditions
- Travel : 20%
- Number of job available : 1
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or in a related field
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- Be a member of the Barreau du Québec (2 years of relevant experience)
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
- Thorough understanding of the property and casualty insurance claims sector
- Independent speaker, intermediate knowledge of English (an asset)
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Action oriented, Customer Focus, Differences, Nimble learning
Key competencies for the job
Business insight, Communicates effectively, Complexity, Ensures accountability, Interpersonal Savvy
Complexe Desjardins Montréal
Legal Affairs (FG)