Are you a legal assistant?Do you have litigation experience?Do you work more in French?Read on, this post is tailor-made for you!
Our client, a well-established litigation firm located in the heart of downtown Montreal, is looking for a litigation legal assistant to assist two lawyers who work more specifically in administrative and municipal law. The work will be mostly in French.
The Legal Assistant works directly under the supervision of one or more lawyers. In addition to office administrative tasks, she organizes and maintains client and lawyer files, manages the lawyer's agenda and plays an important role in contact with clients.
The Legal Assistant has knowledge of the procedures and regulations in force in the legal field, so she is called upon to format legal documents, ensure that the layout of documents complies with standards related to practice, carry out plumitif searches, review legal documents and ensure that the deadlines within which documents must be sent are respected.
• Prepare and enter on the computer letters and legal documents such as affidavits, procedures and pleadings, from handwritten, stenographed or dictated texts;
• Review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure that they comply with legal procedures, firm standards and grammatical usage;
• Manage the agenda of procedures and inherent deadlines, in the lawyer's agenda, and ensure that they are respected;
• Arrange and coordinate appointments, meetings or interrogations, as well as conferences of the lawyer(s);
• Maintain privileged relationships with clients;
• Communicate with legal service providers (bailiffs, courthouses, lawyers, notaries);
• Maintain a digital and paper filing system, according to the standards established by the firm for the management of documents and legal procedures, and frequently monitor the security of confidential documents;
• Verify conflicts of interest with a view to opening new cases;
• Enter data and record time entries as they go (billable and non-billable hours);
• Obtain approval of fee notes, prepare and send invoices to clients;
• Track the collection of amounts owed by clients;
• Prepare necessary cheque requisition forms and letters for the purpose of preparing and auditing clients' financial statements;
• Prepare the closure of files according to the procedure of the firm.
Other administrative tasks
• Identify work or disbursements in progress that cannot be recovered, ask the lawyers responsible to write off and ensure that these write-offs are monitored;
• Manage and coordinate the collection of offender accounts under the supervision of the responsible lawyer;
• Conduct research (plumitifs and others) at the specific request of lawyers for certain clients and communicate with investigative offices;
• Monitor and train, as appropriate, other employees on working methods and the operation of common software.
• Hold secretarial training with a recognized legal option or any other combination of training and/or legal experience;
• Have a minimum of 3 years of experience;
• Have an excellent proficiency of French and a good knowledge of English (both oral and written);
• Master the Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Outlook (email and calendar management);
• Know the Master (Maître) accounting software (an asset).
Work doesn’t scare you? Do you like to maintain good relations with your superiors? You know what to do!
As an equal opportunity employer, Personnel Alter Ego values diversity in its workforce and seeks to ensure all groups remain fairly represented. Candidates must have the legal right to work in Canada.