The leadership and tenacity of members and executives have allowed METRO to pursue its growth through mergers, acquisitions, and innovations. Today, it is an acknowledged leader in food and pharmacy.
Through its activities as a retailer, franchisor, distributor, and manufacturer, it operates or supplies a network of some 950 food stores under several banners including Metro, Metro Plus, Super C and Food Basics, as well as some 650 pharmacies mainly under the Jean Coutu, Brunet, Metro Pharmacy and Drug Basics banners.
METRO INC. acquires The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. in the Spring of 2018. The combination of the two leading companies creates a $16-billion retail leader strongly positioned to cater to the growing consumer needs in food, pharmacy, health, and beauty.
A rich and inspiring success story since its foundation.
Values and Culture
Respect for the environment This pillar aims to stimulate initiatives whose objective is to optimize packaging, respond to climate change and better manage residual materials.
Satisfied customersThrough this pillar, the company can focus on promoting wellness and healthy eating, ensuring food quality and safety, and offering responsible products.
Strengthening CommunitiesThis pillar helps the company invest primarily in the communities where they operate and focuses its efforts on supporting local suppliers.
Engaged EmployeesWith this pillar, the organization focuses on creating and maintaining an ethical, healthy and safe work environment and stimulates employee engagement.
The Legal Counsel – Employment and Labour Law is responsible to provide legal advice to the Labour Relations and Human Resources departments’ internal client group on the full spectrum of employment and labour law matters including grievances and arbitrations, wrongful dismissals, human rights, workplace health & safety, WSIB and insurance claims, and advocate for the Company in litigation, hearings etc.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice on employment and labour law matters. Assist in formulating, drafting, editing, and implementing labour & employment-related company strategies, policies, procedures (as required) to mitigate risk to the Company.
- Develop strategy, prepare arguments, draft responses, prepare witnesses and represent the company at various legal hearings, including arbitration, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, courts, etc.
- Advice and assist in the resolution of matters relating to discipline and termination of employment, including a constructive and wrongful dismissal.
- Guide on matters related to harassment, sexual harassment, and discrimination. Prepare employment and labour-related legal briefs and legal opinions as required.
- Draft severance documentation, provide advice on severance offers and assist in negotiating settlements.
- Interpret, advise and proactively communicate/ update the Company on employment and labour-related laws, rulings, regulations & general compliance, outlining the implications to the Company.
- Provide information, support and direction to outside counsel representing the Company in LR and HR litigation and other matters.
- Draft or review employment contracts to ensure alignment with business requirements while protecting the interests of the Company.
- Other duties as required.
- Law degree (LLB/JD)
- Member of the Ontario Bar (required) and member of the Quebec Bar (An asset)
- Possess a minimum of 5 to 8 years of relevant experience in labour & employment law in a law firm and/or in-house.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to quickly build trust and credibility
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work under pressure, work as a flexible team player
- Strong verbal and written communication; effective presentation skills; effective negotiator & advocate
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical legal advice in a business environment
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of French (an asset)
- INTERNAL: Primary client group is the HR and Labour Relations Departments; member of the Legal Department team; VP General Counsel & Corp Sec; Montreal Legal team.
- EXTERNAL: Outside counsel, opposing counsel, union, and government representatives, as required.
Follow TALINKO on LinkedIn and visit our Web site Only the people selected for an interview will be contacted. We support the principle of employment equity.
TALINKO is a recruitment firm of middle and senior executives also offering support in the recruitment of members of the board of directors or advisory committee. We operate in different business sectors.
Please note that the masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.